You know you want to start a blog in 2021, but you don’t know how. Sit back and relax as I share with you the steps to make it happen.
Step 1: Pick an area of interest/passion/skill
There is something that you are good at, even though you don’t think you are. This is what you will be blogging about.
Think about what people come to you all the time to ask you about:
What do you love to do in your spare time?
What do you spend hours on YouTube watching or learning?
What skill or knowledge base do you have that you can help others with?
What hobbies do you have that you spend a lot of time doing?
Step 2: choose a Hosting Company & domain name
You will need :
(1) a blogging/web software program – WORDPRESS (you will get this installed during hosting) and
(2) a hosting company to physically store your content on a server. An excellent and trusted hosting company – GREEN GEEKS is my recommendation although there are others out there who offer you a low first cost and then higher recurring costs. Have a look at the video below which gives an idea of what the company is all about
Once you are ready, click on GREEN GEEKS to get your web hosting. The screen should look like the one below:
At the top, next to the Green Geeks logo, click HOSTING as shown:
A menu will drop down showing 4 different types of hosting. Select WEB HOSTING
Three WEB HOSTING PACKAGES are offered by Green Geeks depending on your needs. Since you are just starting out, you can opt for the :
- Lite Package – which gives you ONE website at $2.95 per month
- Pro Package – which gives you UNLIMITED websites at $4.95 per month
- Premium Package – which gives you UNLIMITED websites at $8.95 per month
Decide on which package is best for you. Will you need to be designing only website? Do you want to have the ability to create unlimited websites eventually? You can always start with the Lite Package and upgrade later on.
Select the GET STARTED button under the package of your choice. For the purposes of this demonstration, we will select the Lite Package.
Now to think of your DOMAIN NAME. The Domain Name is the name of the website people will type into the address bar that usually ends in .com or .org (and many others)
- In the DOMAIN NAME box, enter the name of the website address you WOULD LIKE to have. Since there are millions of websites already on the internet, the name that you want may not be available. Typing the name in this box and clicking NEXT will allow the system to check to see if that name is available.
- If the name is NOT AVAILABLE, you will get a message at the top in red that says “DOMAIN IS NOT AVAILABLE. PLEASE TRY ANOTHER DOMAIN NAME’. I typed in the domain name called ‘lovingyourlife.com’ and it shows that it is already taken.
- Keep trying domain names, and select the drop down where it says (.com) for other choices. It is best to leave the selection at .com
- I will try the domain name ‘promathtutorials.com’ to see if it is taken or available. I see that it is available and the screen should say ‘STEP 2 You’re almost live…’
- Now you need to enter your account information. This is VERY IMPORTANT, especially the email address.
Step 3: learn wordPress like a pro
To learn how to start in blog in 2021, step three leads you in the paths of content creation with WordPress – the best platform out there for blogging. Take your time and engross yourself in WordPress with some help with the tons of YouTube videos that are out there.
The best YouTube video that I have come across are by a guy named Ferdy Korpershoek. He has tons of videos that will take you from beginner to pro in no time.
There is a web builder called Elementor which is perfect for creating those stunning websites like a professional. It is a simple drag and drop building where you do not need to know any coding. Get the plugin here and start building websites right away.
Step 4: Pick a free theme for your blog
There are many free theme you can use to start your blog in WordPress. Some of the best FREE themes I have used are as follows. When first starting out, these are perfect to learn WordPress without having to pay anything. Eventually, you will want to upgrade to a paid theme. For now these are perfect:
Step 5: create content
Stop worrying about being a professional writer or if anyone will read your post. You don’t have to be a professional writer. A blog is a conversation with you and your reader. Just start creating content that meet a need that people are searching for.
Whatever your niche, just answer questions that people have and provide something of value – a list, an article, a step-by-step guide, a video. The possibilities are endless.
Step 6: join a blogging community
Once you join a blogging community, you will realize how many people are in the business of sharing content with others to help them solve their problems.
And eventually, you will realize that you will be able to monetize these efforts and possible provide another means of income for you and your family.
You can check out one of these ways HERE.
Now you know how to start a blog in 2021. Stop making excuses and just get started. Eco-friendly webhosting is on the rise.